Sunday, April 24, 2016

Poems Bidden and Unbidden

I made the decision early on not to make writing my career, partly because I didn’t want to have to write to commission. But I have done so many times, mostly because it’s hard to resist. A poem for a show where poets respond to visual art? Fun!Thoughts on the 50th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights? I have many!

The down side of writing to commission is the phenomenon of the deadline. It’s no coincidence that the word contains death. There’s a sense of doom as they approach. I have a habit of waiting nonchalantly until deadlines are so close I can see their eyeballs. At that point, panic and inspiration are indistinguishable. I’m not a natural procrastinator. There’s just something addictive about the rush of meeting a deadline by the skin of my teeth. And since I seem to meet them every time, I’ve come to accept that this is just how I do things.

But it makes me wonder about inspiration. My commissioned work always feels different to me, faintly inferior, like a clever knockoff. There’s an artificiality about the inspiration that produced it. I keep my commissioned poems separate from the body of my ‘real’ work. So what does that say about the muse out of which unbidden poems arise?

Saul Bellow said: “You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write.” He was so right! Samuel Beckett said that a poem is never finished. He kept endlessly tinkering with his. He was so wrong! I feel it is a crucial part of my craft to know when a poem is finished, just as it must be for an oil painter. You can keep slathering words like more paint on the poem, or changing a word here or there until you drive yourself crazy. I tried to train myself early on to recognize the subtle settling that occurs with a poem, like something finally fitting perfectly the space that has been carved out for it. You make that final change and the thing is done. Time to move on.


Sort of like blog posts….

No comments:

Post a Comment